FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Top glass not needed for DSLR Video?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Colin McQuillan
Re: Top glass not needed for DSLR Video?
on Jan 14, 2012 at 9:07:32 pm

[Jack Rusak] "The author mentioned video "only" made use of about 2000k"

I would imagine he is referring to the width of HD video (1980 pixels wide) as compared to the resolution of still photos.

Like all things it really comes down to application as to whether or not you should be trying to get away with cheap lens'.

You will get sharper, better video from better lens'. In personal tests I have done comparisons between the 50 1.8 and 50 1.4, and also a cheaper 70-300 and a higher end 70-200. There were noticeable differences with the higher end glass producing better pictures and well as smother operation.

You also pay for build quality.
With a higher end lens you will get smoother focusing. Cheaper lens will have some play on the focus ring.
Constant aperture is something to look for as well. For my work, I often am lighting scenes - with this in mind having a variable aperture lower-end lens would be difficult to work with as the iris would change if I zoom the lens to re-frame.

Bokeh (smoothness of the out-of-focus areas) will not be as pleasing, as cheaper lenses tend to have fewer aperture blades and a slower max aperture.

Does this mean you need to pay top dollar for top end glass - not necessarily. It comes down to your needs. For broadcast level, high-end event/corporate, or cinematic purposes I would go for the best, fastest glass you can afford. For other purposes maybe you can get away with saving money on cheaper lens'.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]