FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Can DSLR Video cameras do chroma keying?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Matt Trubac
Re: Can DSLR Video cameras do chroma keying?
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:08:15 pm

A little off topic for this thread... but here we go. The biggest differences between the cameras you mentioned come to sensor size and convenience features inside the cameras. I don't know that I will hit everything here... but here are a few.

The 5D Mark ii is a full frame sensor. The 7D and 60D are 1.6x crop sensors. This means that the field of view of a 50mm lens on a 5D Mark ii is equal to what you would get on a 35mm film camera. Because the sensor on the 7D and 60D is smaller it doesn't capture the entire image projected by the lens and a 50mm lens is cropped. The effective field of view is equivalent to a focal length multiple of 1.6x on a 35mm camera. Our example of a 50mm lens on a full frame would look more like 80mm (full frame) on the 7D or 60D.

I haven't used the 60D, but I think its IQ is very similar to the 7D. I own both the 5D Mark ii and 7D. Both cameras are very good, but the 5D Mark ii has less noise at higher ISO's. It becomes most noticeable to me over 1250 iso. This is due to the full frame sensor on the 5D. Larger pixels.

Otherwise, between the 5D Mark ii and the 7D, the biggest things that stand out in my mind are... The 7D can shoot 720p60. The 5D does not shoot this format. The 5D has a histogram for setting exposure. The 5D allows you to manually set an audio level from within menus. Not convenient but something you cannot do on a 7D. The 7D has a dedicated switch for video/photo modes. The 5D has a button to enter live view and you need to set the live view mode up within the menu. The 7D has a dedicated video record button. The 5D uses the center button in the navigation wheel thing to start and stop recording.

The 5D is more expensive than the 7D. They have similar build quality. In general IQ is comparable across the line. Fast quality lenses are important. I shoot with several primes that are f/1.4-f/2.0. I also use a few f/2.8 zoom lenses. Mostly Canon L glass.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]