FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: External audio recorders

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Colin McQuillan
Re: External audio recorders
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:31:21 pm

I don't know about the H1, but the H4N has a hold button. Even still I wouldn't recommend the setup you are thinking of. The hold button 'might' prevent the person from switching it off, but they still could if they were rummaging in their pocket for what ever reason or sitting down in tight fitting pants... Set up at a podium, OK but still what if the batteries you thought were fresh aren't fresh. You wont know until it is too late and you have no audio instead of some if you were able to see the issue as it happened and react.

Also, if there is any other issue with the mic, like clipping/over modulation, fabric rub, or some other type of interference you will have no way of knowing until it is too late. At least if you are monitoring you will know about any issues as they happen and can act accordingly IE switching to a shotgun mic quick so you can at least get some usable sound or waiting for an opportune moment to quickly address the problem...

Bottom line, if you are not actively monitoring you are taking a risk that personally I would not take.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]