FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Can someone explain why my footage quality isn't so good?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Robert Olding
Re: Can someone explain why my footage quality isn't so good?
on Aug 7, 2017 at 7:06:27 pm
Last Edited By Robert Olding on Aug 7, 2017 at 7:08:48 pm

Hi Scott ... I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly but it looks like you say your frame size is 4K. If that's correct, then FCPX is increasing the size of your image 2 times. If you're capturing the footage from your Canon directly to a card and not through the HDMI port to a recorder, the footage is compressed using the H.264 compression scheme. The H.264 compression is very lossy. The artifacts you mention will become very apparent once you start to grade, resize, crop, trim, etc., your footage.

So, if you're shooting to a card, and you are sizing your footage up to 4K, grading it, then resizing it back down to 1080 for output, you're definitely going to see artifacts. The chromatic aberration you see would also be much more apparent.

Steve Crow is correct in stating the one of the best ways to eliminate chromatic aberration is to reduce the aperture on the lens. It's best to use something in the middle, typically between f5.6 and f11. I'm not sure what kind of lens you're using but most still photography lenses are designed to work best in the middle aperture range.

Robert Olding
http://www.8streetstudio.com
Minneapolis, MN

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]