FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Looking for a Canon Lens for full frame video

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael McCune
Re: Looking for a Canon Lens for full frame video
on Aug 16, 2015 at 2:08:46 am

Right. There is a split between the goals -- and the visual result--of those with a documentary camcorder approach and those who try to achieve a beautiful result, called cinematography.

The first I call the "6-o'clock News" approach and the other is the artful approach. Get ready for religious wars on this topic!

But the practical side is really the answer, IMHO. That is, if your job description calls for "bringing back the bacon" then a camcorder with a long zoom and using auto settings for everything is the only practical approach. For example, a wedding client may want end-to-end coverage, everything. After all, they want everyone to see everything!

Or, the client may realize that, in the end, it is really a few precious and beautiful shots that capture the day, to be seen by relatively few.

One the one hand, there is lots of footage, none of which is likely to be beautiful; and on the other hand there is relatively little footage but it might have nuggets of gold.

---

You can guess which camp I usually find myself in! And I have found--knowing that I will have more gear and setup required than my friends on the same shoot--that I plan for it as much as possible, trying to guess the best place for the tripod, the best framing and light, etc. True, no way to get end-to-end coverage.

Once I asked an acquaintance who was editing such a shoot about including some of my shots, a couple of which were unexpectedly, even to me, gorgeous. He said he couldn't. Why? Because they look so different.

That is, a video-y look from a camcorder set to auto everything versus a full-frame dslr image with tight framing, beautiful highlights and background out of focus, etc.

Ya choose your poison, as they say.

Best wishes!
Mike

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]