Re: Filming at night! Any tips?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve Crow
Re: Filming at night! Any tips?
on Jul 30, 2015 at 12:55:46 am
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Jul 30, 2015 at 1:06:49 am

Regarding lens aperture, remember what you are looking for are ones with the LOWER numbers (as in F2 is more open than an F4) lower aperture numbers represent bigger/wider openings through which more light can pass

My old stand by is a Canon 50mm 1.4 prime lens but because my camera has an APS-C sized sensor (as does your most likely, I'd have to double check that) the lens actually gives the approximate image that an 80mm would on a full frame camera. But I deal with it simply by moving the camera back a few more feet. So if you have an APS-C sized sensor too and can afford the rental price, see if you can find something like a 35MM or 24mm prime lens (ideally) with an aperture of 2.8 or lower - again lower means more open.

ps I just checked and your Nikon has a "DX" sized sensor which is equivalent to an APS-C

http://photoseek.com/2013/compare-digital-camera-sensor-sizes-full-frame-35...

You could go with a zoom lens too and there are some excellent ones in the 24-70mm range - it's up to your individual artistic preference, shooting style, budget etc. I'd be very careful about lenses that are that cheap to rent, they may be old manual lenses which can still technically work with your camera but the you'll have to set the aperture and focus rings manually and some other functions might not work. Many people love to work with these old lenses because of the look but they also have lots of experience and it sounds like you are not yet in their shoes

Steve Crow

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]