Re: Filming at night! Any tips?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve Crow
Re: Filming at night! Any tips?
on Jul 29, 2015 at 6:11:40 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Jul 30, 2015 at 1:06:08 am

It's hard to give specific advice without knowing exactly what you are going to be filming and where. A few general ideas:

A lens with more open aperture, saying something in the 2.4 area, will let more of whatever light is present hit your sensor but that brings it's own challenges, like your depth of field will be very shallow and can make keeping things in focus a problem. Look into renting.

As I said, It all depends on what you are trying to light but certainly some external lights that you can attach to batteries is a solution I have used in the past but now you are talking about a lot of money. Those you can rent too.

I am wondering if you could you use your car headlights in some way - I would think about maybe bouncing the light from the headlight using some sort of bounce board or reflective material, that would be a much softer, less direct light and way cheaper too - the cost would be some very cheap bounce boards and stands - but you could rent the correct c-stands to hold a bounce board and save yourself from purchasing. Don't run the car engine because it will make a mess of your sound but at the same time be very careful about not draining your car battery :-)

Steve Crow

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]