FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: DSLR Rig / Steadicam?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: DSLR Rig / Steadicam?
on Jan 18, 2015 at 4:18:12 pm

I think it depends largely on you. Both act to stabilize footage, but not the same way. The shoulder rig has far less of a learning curve since it just needs to rest on your shoulders and it stabilizes by balancing movement among your hands and shoulders. The "Steadicam-pole" thing relies on your hand to stay stable while balancing the weight out with counterweights. I find these rigs get heavy fast and you can only shoot for short periods of time - all the while your hand and shoulder drop due to constant weight and motion. At the end of the day, you will need to stabilize the footage in post anyway (whether Steadicam or not). I suggest the shoulder rig for less overall strain and ease of use. For long term shooting, the shoulder rig will work quite well. I would skip the handle stabilizer rig and rent a better unit that attaches to your core like a real Steadicam for the correct feel to the footage. Another note: steadicams wobble and pivot and take a bit to fully stabilize with weights and such and take much longer to get used to - learning curve with steadicams.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]