Re: Cache-A alternative

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

bryson jones
Re: Cache-A alternative
on Aug 1, 2016 at 4:16:20 pm

Sorry for the delay in response.

We've done many archive migrations. Including a Cache-A migration of over 150 tapes for a customer.

We're currently starting a migration operation for a client who has over 400TB of tapes as I type. (Not a Cache-A rig but one from a company that was purchased and so has changed significantly.)

The good news? That LTO5 will still work (for the next year or so at least) and when you want to move that data over, it'll fit on a mere 25 LTO-6 tapes. If you go to LTO7, you can use even fewer. A manual restore and archive mostly just requires patience and persistence.

Also, the new archive operations can be done mostly automatically, in the background once you set them up, unless you choose another archive system that does not allow archive operations to be automated.

I've discussed with Xendata and Square Box the need for a plan for smaller one-user systems and believe that they will be working with resellers to develop and document this so some help is on the way.

North Shore is currently focused on assisting a few larger organizations with a more automated solution, although that will surely spin off some good info for the "lone gunmen" as I call the super creative and resourceful folks who manage an archive and CatDV system by themselves. (I, more than most, know how hard this task is.)

In the end, for larger organizations, this points out the need for a long term plan as your archive might outlive the companies that build the archive systems. An effective "pack up and go" strategy as well as a plan for drive upgrades should be part of anyone's plan who is currently purchasing an archive system.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]