FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: CatDV vs. Cantemo

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Handy
Re: CatDV vs. Cantemo
on May 15, 2014 at 2:51:35 pm

We actually ended up with Axle. The value proposition was quite high, especially after they announced an upgrade available for use with Adobe Anywhere. That was the final selling point for us. Although we aren't quite ready for that upgrade, I could easily see it happen within the next couple of years.

That said, Axle is not nearly as comprehensive as a tool set. Both Cantemo and CatDV have a big lead in that department. We can't do rough cuts with Axle as yet. That's kind of a big deal, but wasn't a deal breaker for us. For now, we're thinking of a hybrid Axle/Prelude use for this system. Axle's built-in logging tools are helpful enough for 85% of our work, though we aren't an average shop.

I don't care for the way Axle handles user accounts. The system doesn't use concurrent connections for licensing. We have over 60 users, but only need about 10 or so concurrent connections. The only way we could get it working right was to have only 10 users share group accounts. I think this is one of the biggest differences in these system - user and group controls.

The Axle system took about nine weeks to index and generate proxies for about 90TB of media. It would have been much faster if we'd had our Episode Cluster upgraded to Engine during that time. Now that we have Engine added to the mix, the system is doing much better. If I were consulting anyone on Axle, I would strongly urge my client to run Episode Engine and run it on a separate computer. Running Episode on the same system is a major slow down for the whole process.

HTH!

HandyGeek

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]