FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: CatDV vs. Cantemo

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

bryson jones
Re: CatDV vs. Cantemo
on Nov 7, 2012 at 5:00:32 pm

Full Disclosure: NSA (My company, integrates both CatDV and Cantemo systems.)

They are actually fairly different in approach.

For instance:

CatDV has a client app, Cantemo is all done from a browser interface interacting with a single server.

CatDV uses separate apps for Client, Server and Worker/Automation and these can span over multiple machines or live on one.

CatDV runs on Mac OSX, Linux or Windows for Server and OSX & Windows for automation & client.

Cantemo runs on all OS's for clients (obviously) and Linux for Server.

Cantemo, in my opinion, has a lot more in common with more traditional DAM systems whereas CatDV is more of a hybrid and focuses more on production asset management. There are benefits to both, depending on the environment and use.

We're actually evaluating several sites where they will likely use both due to the fact that they cover such a wide area of use between the two systems. And with the pricing, you can buy "one of each" so to speak and still be far under the price of a traditional "Big-Iron" DAM.

That said, Cantemo is priced a bit above the typical CatDV base deployment.

As always, this is a bit more than can be discussed on a forum. DAM systems are so specific to the environment. I'd contact the US Reps and get a demo of both products and you'll have a better feel for the two as they relate to your particular system. I personally feel like Cantemo is aimed more at the Final Cut Server user rather than the CatDV user as far as use case. The philosophies & methodologies are very different.

Speaking of... is there a generic DAM board on the Cow? Seems like that might be a lively forum.

Hope this helps you on your way.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]