Re: Splitting digitized film into scenes

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim McCallister
Re: Splitting digitized film into scenes
on May 19, 2020 at 12:15:23 am
Last Edited By Tim McCallister on May 19, 2020 at 12:24:32 am

In the vein of this thread, I too had some old B&W 16mm transferred --> 5K (3840x2880, 4:3 Aspect Ratio, ProRes4444 10bit) but unfortunately due to my naivete, it was scanned into .709 rather than .2020.

Question: Is it worth it to have Resolve remap it into .2020 for doing an HDR correction down the road? Or is this just (an analogy of) creating empty pixels that aren't there in the first place? I ask because there's a video tutorial online of how to do this, but it seems on a technical level this would be an empty exercise that doesn't provide extra dynamic range if it wasn't there in the first place...

I realize HDR mostly works best with color, but having seen the recent 4K of Halloween (1978), there's a definite wider range of Bright to Dark, especially in the outdoors sunlit scenes where the girls are walking/talking in their neighborhood, an additional ceiling I'd love to have access to. I mean, Schindler's List and Elephant Man are in HDR (albeit, by brilliant cinematographers, but still...).

Apologizing ahead of time for my newbie status...

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]