FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Is Resolve interpreting ProRes4444 from Premiere correctly?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Stanya Kahn
Re: Is Resolve interpreting ProRes4444 from Premiere correctly?
on Dec 3, 2019 at 4:57:55 am

Thanks very much for your reply. Very helpful. Yes, it's an odd aspect ratio. I shot on super 16mm, which is not a true 16:9, so the 2K scans are an odd size. I'm going to have letter bars online unless I'm willing to sacrifice part of the frame and uprez. Which I'm not, so online it will have bars on the sides. But mainly the film will be projected, in which case it works out fine.

My biggest problems now (i see from many threads I'm not alone), is the maddening Chrome/Safari/Quicktime color metadata problems on new Macs and after Resolve 16.1. Everything look washed out. I was hoping that maybe it was a 4444 issue in Resolve and that I'd set something wrong. But I guess not (my project settings were Rec 709, video, Davinci YRGB. The whole thing has been graded and sent back to Premiere for final credits etc and when I exported the master and the clips for Vimeo, I discovered the wash-out issue. Have read a million posts. Tried the LUT for QT. It helps for QT but looks terrible on Vimeo (crushed blacks, pixelated). Since most people use Chrome and Safari and not Firefox (where it looks ok because Firefox doesn't add metadata) and use Quicktime and not VLC (which also doesn't add metadata, so looks ok) I can only come to the conclusion that I have to make a separate version with a darker grade for these platforms. Is that what everyone is doing? It's so crazy to have to do all this extra work to use the most commonly used platforms. Argh.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]