FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Is Resolve interpreting ProRes4444 from Premiere correctly?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marc Wielage
Re: Is Resolve interpreting ProRes4444 from Premiere correctly?
on Dec 3, 2019 at 4:26:20 am

[Stanya Kahn] "My project is 2048 x 1240, 24fps, 2K."
That is a very unusual format. Where do you plan on showing this? As far as I know, no theater, broadcast, cable, or streaming channel can handle this kind of resolution. You can force it to this resolution using the "Custom" settings. Video or Full depends on how you intend to monitor and deliver it; in general, I'd say keep it simple and stay in Video, DaVinci YRGB, Rec709.

When people do 2.00:1 aspect ratios, they generally just letterbox it in a 1.78 (or 1.85) frame, which is often done for HD and UHD television these days. There might be a handful of online services that can display true 2.00:1 as a self-contained video (without letterbox), but I don't know of a lot of them. There was a time when I'd argue against the format, but a ton of contemporary TV series use it (like STRANGER THINGS, among others), so clearly it's a creative trend people like. Vittorio Storaro finally got his wish: he'd been campaigning for this aspect ratio for at least 25 years.

I would avoid Broadcast Safe and worry about that on the final pass, and just keep an eye out for overshoots and gamut issues using the scopes provided. Soft Clips and Gamut Mapping can help with this, but I only use it on the shots that really need it. Time and experience will help you spot these problems before they happen.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]