Re: project settings difficulties

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Glenn Sakatch
Re: project settings difficulties
on Jan 6, 2019 at 6:07:21 pm
Last Edited By Glenn Sakatch on Jan 6, 2019 at 6:15:37 pm

You have thrown me a bit with the statement that your cache files are being put in the Middle of a project file.

All of Resolves settings are access through two different preference areas. The gear box in the bottom right, and the preferences tab under the Davinci Resolve drop down (top left)

By default i believe your cache files are directed to the root of the first drive listed in your media pool. You can rearrange these drives and the order of these drives be going to your top left preferences, look for media storage, remove the drives that are there, and then add them back in...in the order you want them to appear. You can also add folders/subfolders if you want Resolve to only look at certain areas of drives.

If you want to change the default area that cache files go, then go to your gear wheel, and look under "master Settings"
near the bottom you will see working folders, which is where you can redirect your cache files and stills files locations.
Directly above this setting, you can set your optimized media and cache media codec type, which defaults to uncompressed, and is quite often too large for many users computers to work with, so you might want to drop those down to a more friendly codec.

I would not send your cache files to the C drive. I wouldn't send anything from any NLE to the c drive...leave it for the OS and use other storage for everything else.

What you really need to be aware of is Resolves timeline frame rate. This can't be changed after you have created a timeline and added footage, so that is the main item you should check at the start of the project. Your Raster settings can be changed at anytime, but the base framerate for the timeline is pretty much set in stone once you get going.

From a saved settings standpoint, you can setup Resolve to start with the same frame rate each time, by setting your project the way you want, then going to the presets tab under the gear icon...right click on the current project preset, and save as user default config. You can also do a save as, and create presets for any amount/combination of project settings you can think of. Do some experimenting here. Many of us set this to a base build, and work from there.

I personally work from a 23.976 hd 1080 project, and then (if it's actually a UHD project) switch to UHD before i do my final rendering). If i need to do a broadcast (NTSC) version, i usually output a 23.976 master, and then convert that to 59.94 on a secondary pass. Years ago we used to follow the rule of getting to the final output frame rate as soon as possible, now i stay at the (main) shoot framerate as long as possible.

I should add, Resolve Studio vs Resolve shouldn't make any difference in these settings.

Glenn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]