FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Premiere Pro CC 2019 to DaVinci Resolve 15 Problem: video files go missing, and so far I cant seem to manually relink

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marc Wielage
Re: Premiere Pro CC 2019 to DaVinci Resolve 15 Problem: video files go missing, and so far I cant seem to manually relink
on Dec 31, 2018 at 9:02:23 pm

[Daniel Parker] "I’d like to ask you what you meant by confirming the individual clips? When I began the project I confirmed all video files with different frame rates to match the time line. I’m working with video taken with a Sony a7 series camera."
CONFORMING.

DLSRs are often a nightmare to work with because you wind up with "fake" timecode starting at 00:00:00:00 per clip, meaning there are hundreds, potentially thousands of timecode conflicts in a project, and some cameras (like the A7) will create identical file names on different days like DSC0001, DSC0002, DSC0003, and so on. One mandatory issue of any proper workflow is to have different filenames for every file, so there are never any naming conflicts, and another is to avoid timecode conflicts when possible by using time-of-day. (Sequential timecode like Hour 1, Hour 2, Hour 3 and so on can also work in some cases.) Without that, it'll all go to hell very quickly.

I see no solution except to go in and manually force conform shot by shot. Next time, don't do this. I think a good tactic immediately after shooting is to append the shootday at the head of the file name, so it becomes 123118_DSC0001, 123118_DSC0002, and so on. If there's more than one camera, consider a camera letter, like A123118_DSC0001, B123118_DSC0001, and so on. I also suggest avoiding Long-GOP H.264 compression entirely and transcode all the files to something benign like ProRes 422HQ or DNxHD (or DNxHR). All these things are part of good workflow practices, at least in my opinion. If you don't do this, you're in for a world of hurt.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]