FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Round Trip Canon C100 from FCP7 to DaVinci Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Round Trip Canon C100 from FCP7 to DaVinci Resolve
on Jun 12, 2018 at 1:01:47 am

With cameras like the C100 and the Sony FS5, file names repeat with each new folder. In the case of the C100 timecode is also set to zero as you point out. That is the perfect storm for post calamity and I have no idea why both those cameras do not allow for unique file names which is the best solution.

I am working on a series at the moment and all original camera files are being bulk renamed to add a unique identifier. So files in each folder gets two extra prefixes - H01_A001_, where the H01 is a reference to a specific camera and shoot day and the A001 is the reel (folderID) on that day. The following _Clip0001.mxf is then left on the end and as each clip increments for each card the files all end up with unique names. This works even if the timecodes are all zero start. There is plenty of free software that does this simple bulk renaming.

I just received the AAF and a drive with the camera originals of the first episode and all but one file reconnected perfectly. This is in a workflow where the camera originals are first copied as proxies for AVID with the matching file name and timecode. As there are multiple copies of the camera originals it is important to do the same renaming on all copies or rename in the field before making backups.

Resolve can be excellent when basic rules of file naming and folder management are done BEFORE editing begins.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]