FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Custom control surfaces

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marc Wielage
Re: Custom control surfaces
on Apr 12, 2018 at 9:48:51 am

[Joseph Owens] "At last count, there are three surfaces that work; DaVinci's dedicated set, the Artist, and the Tangent Wave."
Don't forget the Tangent Elements and the Tangent Ripple -- both of which use the standard Tangent protocol. They all work very well.

Having just gone back to the big panels for the first time in years, I'm reminded of how well-tailored the program is to those. You can work on anything, but there's a reason the Advanced Panels are used at the big shops all over the world.

I went through the whole "MIDI / kludgy" thing with Pro Tools, and it was exhausting just trying to keep up with drivers and patches and macros and interpretations and things that would stutter and go wrong, or automation that would go south at the worst possible moment. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. These little toy boxes don't work for me. I have no problem using macro boxes -- I'm a huge fan of the programmable XKeys buttons, and the Elgato Streamdeck is very promising -- but the Midi stuff leaves me cold. The advantage of the purpose-built panels is you can develop the muscle memory required to use these surfaces quickly. And speed is the whole point. I don't have time to spend 10 minutes per shot -- we have to get through features and episodic TV very quickly. I concede there are some projects where you can spend much more time, but it's not the way I'm wired.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]