FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Start/stop Tracking mid clip?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael McCune
Re: Start/stop Tracking mid clip?
on Nov 9, 2017 at 3:35:45 pm

Rhys: Regarding the Clip mode and the Frame mode, one might first understand that these modes refer the polygon or Power Window changes. That is, changes -- such as enlarging the polygon--apply to the entire clip OR they are applied to the frame only. Because Resolve will interpolate between frames, it smoothes out the frame changes made in Frame mode.

As a practical matter, I usually find myself capturing the object to be tracked (probably with the cloud option, or perhaps with the point option chosen--with a polygon window. Then start the tracking. (Usually I use the fewest of the options for Pan, Tilt, Zoom, Rotate and 3D, often just Pan and Tilt, for simple tracking in a 2D plane.)

I usually set the mode to Clip mode at the outset and then start.

It won't be long before the window drifts from the object. Of course if one's clip is only a few seconds then this drift issue might not occur. If is is minutes in duration, then it probably will drift.

When it drifts, I usually pause the tracking, using the pause button in the tracking window, and change the mode from Clip to Frame.

Look at the trace in the tracking window: when the track fails it usually shows a larger excursion and is fairly obvious. You might well use the tool in the tracking window to highlight and then Delete Selected Frames to clean up the track data path.

Then recenter your window on the target and recommence tracking. Rinse and repeat. This can be a tedious routine for long clips, to be sure.

This means that almost all of the tracking is done in Frame mode with lots of correcting re-do work.

With a window that basically captures and tracks your subject, then perhaps a filter applied to this limited polygon area might allow color adjustments to, say, a face.

Good luck! Mike

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]