FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: What should a properly exposed 18% gray card read under the RGB color picker?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marc Wielage
Re: What should a properly exposed 18% gray card read under the RGB color picker?
on Nov 24, 2016 at 7:31:13 am

Note that Mark Sanford above is a 7-times Emmy winner, an expert camera engineer going back more than 40 years. If anybody knows what a gray card is for, he would. Mark does very good work.

To answer the question: it kind of doesn't matter what the eyedropper tool looks like, because it has no meaning in worlds with different color standards. A scope is a better tool, and even then, a lot will depend on how the chart is exposed and the specific color temperature of the lights on the set. If the set is lit with colored gels, and you make the gray chart precisely gray, everything else will be wrong.

I'm a big fan of the DSC charts, but I'm also fine with just a big 10-step grayscale chart for camera matching. If I can get that, I'm 2/3 of the way there in terms of matching the cameras and making everything consistent. In truth, I've been on many shows (including film shows) that had no charts at all, so we just had to do it by guts, eyes, and scopes.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]