FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: What should a properly exposed 18% gray card read under the RGB color picker?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: What should a properly exposed 18% gray card read under the RGB color picker?
on Nov 23, 2016 at 5:19:24 pm

Well there you go and for the price of a cup of coffee. World Vision must be feeling the heat of competition.

What I did come away with is maybe a better appreciation of what a loaded term "properly exposed" is these days.

It does seem to illustrate the dangers of depending on a single reverse-transform LUT to restore the viewfinder values over a range of exposures and lighting conditions. Which is something we colorists seem to be battling every time we roll into a new scene. Without the EI index as metadata, the LUT gets applied to the wrong exposure range -- and I think anyone who has had to deal with a baked-in ProRes or DnX S-Log source clip has experienced this and realized that the offset has to be applied before linearizing or expanding the compressed dynamic with a reverse LUT. My first guess would be that if you have ever had a scene blow out the top of the scope, that's why.

Two things... the article does not go into how this is affected in ACES.

And can't resist the notion that whoever that guy is that wrote his connoisseurship article on "Why Marvel movies look like mud (or something)" could absorb a few lessons. The main benefit, of course, in writing an article of his type is that it definitively illustrates the perils of a little bit of knowledge. And BTW, did it break LIftGammaGain...? Its been down for days.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]