Re: Fix mid shot 2 frame exposure shift

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: Fix mid shot 2 frame exposure shift
on Mar 15, 2016 at 10:11:06 pm

[Nicholas Zimmerman] "If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear it"

Seems like your colorist had a good reason to move away.

Keyframing first and last almost never works.

Strategy 2 is where most of us wind up.

Curves may still come into play in this situation. There may be different curves inside a number of area qualifications for this to work.

The rest are pretenders.

Flicker fixer induces a lot, and I mean, A LOT of blur, especially if this is more than a little blip.

Not having seen the picture, and I'm imagining a person's face with some kind of depth-of-field background, perhaps at a different exposure level...

How much relative movement is there between the frames? Are there areas in the picture that change exposure at different rates? Are you on a particularly non-linear part of the camera's internal transfer/exposure characteristic?

Something that might be a shot-in-the-dark would be to export the offending frames and a few before-and-after as dpx files, name them non-consecutively so that Resolve doesn't treat them as a clip, and try its scene-match. Never tried it and its relative success is likely for pictures that are more different than they are similar, but you never know. The machines will do whatever they want.

Its never a case of simply adjusting gain down a few points -- the entire transfer curve changes with exposure and the only point at which you know you have succeeded is when you actually play them back and you don't see anything pop. For that reason correcting the hell out of them in still mode can never tell you whether it has worked or not -- even split screens are relatively useless. This kind of takes away from the inexperienced notion of "auto-correcting" anything by the numbers. Even if the numerical values match, your eyes don't know that and while everything in a scene is dynamically affected by everything else, its well established that even identical values within a frame will look different in comparison to what separates them. Those famous two patches of grey, for example -- one surrounded by white and the other by black -- one is alway perceived to be darker than the other. So this is another thing you have to defeat -- human vision.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]