FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Broadcast Safe

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marc Wielage
Re: Broadcast Safe
on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:26:39 am

Patrick does a good job and MixingLight has terrific tutorials.

My tactic is both to use the built-in clipper to limit the excessive white/chroma peaks, but also keep a close eye on the show while you're correcting. It's better to use curves or manual gain/desaturation controls to control the levels rather than let the clipper do all the heavy lifting.

Note that even the hard clip within Resolve will not always stop a really egregious blast of chroma. The hardware clippers were traditionally used in broadcast (sometimes at the transmitter) to stop these problems before they happened. Software clippers in my experience are good but not quite up to that.

If you want to see what the various settings do, set up a given adjustment and then crank on the levels and watch what happens on the scopes. Note that the manual says:

The clipping imposed by Broadcast Safe itself does not have an inherently soft roll-off. For best results, Broadcast Safe should be used in conjunction with the Soft Clip controls in the Color page, or a Soft Clip LUT.

I have had situations where I've had to drop a high soft/white clip curve as a Timeline node just to control these situations. I don't use it all the time, but if you're up against a deadline and have to get some dodgy material "air worthy," it can work.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]