FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: "Failed to link" when importing XML / EDL / AAF

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread


Vlad Nikitin
Re: "Failed to link" when importing XML / EDL / AAF
on Jan 6, 2015 at 11:21:07 pm

!!! SOLUTION FOUND !!! (At least worked in my case)

I created Quicktime Prores proxies from r3d files in RedCine to edit, did so in Premiere CC, and when I was done I took the .xml sequence to DaVinci to color work, and then the problem of linking original files with an xml sequence (from Premiere) in DaVinci almost drove me cray cray.



After trying all sorts of different exports: cleaning up all the effects, creating a trimmed project, even impoting an xml sequence into Final Cut Pro, and then exporting it again as an xml sequence (even using different versions of xml), EDL export, and tweaking everything in Davinci's project settings (most people suggested playing with Conform Options, like Assist using reel names from the:"), and days of looking for a solution on the forums proved worthless. I couldn't find a single post with someone saying "this got my problem solved".

Deadline was approaching and the solution was nowhere in sight. I even contemplated the unthinkable: transcode all the footage again and see if that will work (and reedit everything...)

The answer to this nightmare was so easy I felt I was below amateur when discovered it.
I import the xml with these settings (only "Automatically import source clips into media pool" is unchecked since I have the original r3d files already imported into Media Pool).

Then, this maddening window pops up.

All the clips are imported into the timeline, but all are broken and don't show anything. Force conforming each clip in the timeline to the original in the media pool doesn't do the work, they all start in the wrong place. But when I did that I noticed a change int the Edit Index of the file I "force conformed". Look at before and after Force Conforming.

So there was obviously something wrong with the timecode of the proxies that I transcoded, i thought. All the proxies had absolutely different timecode than original R3Ds.

I opened up the metadata of the same r3d file in redcine-x (which I used to transcode the originals into proxies).

The r3d files have both Absolute and Edge timecode embedded; my proxies had Absolute timecode, while Davinci tried to use Edge timecode to link the files.

SOLUTION:
I created a new project in DaVinci and opened the Project setting tab. Change these first thing (not the solution to the problem but needed for these video files)

And then go to the Camera Raw setting tab, and do this (don't forget to choose RED as your RAW on the upper right corner here)

I guess, for some reason, when the "Camera" setting is sellected for Timecode, Davinci just chooses to read Edge code instead of Absolute. So changing the option manually does the trick.

After, import all your original footage into Media Pool, and import the .xml into timeline window, deselect "Automatically import source clips into media pool", and they should finally load and link correctly.

This explanation was way too long, but it made me feel so happy and dumb at the same time that I wanted to share this. Tell me if that helped.


Posts IndexRead Thread 


Current Message Thread:





© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]