FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: HP pavilion monitor for color grading

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: HP pavilion monitor for color grading
on Dec 29, 2014 at 5:44:47 pm

If only a theatrical audience or broadcast viewership could vote with buying tickets or some other mechanism, similar to the passengers getting on some kind of commercial service on which they might possibly perish if the operators were so completely intent on shortcutting the service.

If an editor (or pilot) is so strapped as to not be able to provide a calibrated monitor (capable aircraft) (and no external scope, working ones cost more) and so "eyeball" the whole process, no airline in the world would ever get to their destination. Yes, Cessnas can and do get some people from short hop point "A" to point "B", but I wouldn't try to establish an IFR commercial service with one. Its the same thing.

The short, sweet, simple, open-and-closed story regarding graphics displays is that they are not, and are not intended to be used as motion picture reference monitors. But no manufacturer is going to put a label on them that says 'you can't do this.' Bad for sales. They will even hang a tag on the thing that says it is so-much percent of broadcast color space (when what is required is 100%) but the not-the-whole-story justification for even that is in reality just how close the corner values are to the extreme values of the tristimulus boundaries. What is going on inside the triangle is a whole other can of worms -- and the average consumer-grade display simply cannot hack the overall grey-scale conformity required. At least not within the price point. That is the difference. White balance -- simple. Gamma conformity? Within a few per cent. Black point -- debatable. Grey scale neutrality overall the entire range -- not achievable without an external LUT, and you may as well spend the money on a decent monitor as the investment it will take to achieve the work-around. Its that simple.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]