Re: How to handle split screen shots?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: How to handle split screen shots?
on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:54:00 pm
Last Edited By Joseph Owens on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:56:14 pm

[Marc Wielage] "Imagine a scene with five or six people in the frame, and each person is from a different take! It's gonna happen (if it hasn't already). Next, they'll want that in 3D, with a Steadicam shot, rack-focusing to each actor all over the room..."

I'm imagining billing that out. ka-ching. It is a VFX issue, but as colorists, we are or should be either hand-in-glove with that or really start considering grade to be a kind of VFX.

I do a certain amount of this and for the most part the cinematographer/dP on this particular series is religious to the point of fanatical with his lighting and scene-match. So the seam is almost always invisible just treating them with the same grade. If there is a shadow mismatch (rare), then setting up a split with power window alpha-out to reveal a lower layer will show that and then a little shade-off is relatively painless. I've done whole shows with the same actors playing their doppelganger-nemeses like this. Show 208 of Tiny Plastic Men is an example. http://tinyplasticmen.com/

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]