FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Your Color / Edit Suite (with windows, sunshine, and life!)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: Your Color / Edit Suite (with windows, sunshine, and life!)
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:37:55 pm

[Jim Klatt] "let's just say that there was a 3rd solution. One that allowed for lights to be turned down and windows to be closed when need be to make sure everything was accurate and where you wanted it to be.
I would certainly sacrifice an extra hour per day of doing a final check with the lights down if I knew that I could do my work in an environment where plants could thrive,"

Lovely fantasy, but a case of wanting your cake and eating it, too. Grading with the windows open and the blinds up would be the shortest distance to doing it all over again that I can think of, and probably not just a matter of a little tweak here and there. Your black point, gain and contrast will be -- literally -- out the window. Especially with current reflective solid-state monitors being the way they are. Its hard enough getting that right even under draconian environmental control.

My plants do very well (maybe even a little bit too well) in my administrative office just off the grade suite, where I retire every once in a while to catch up on correspondence, take a breather, let the machine take care of some business, see what kind of day it is, what the hot topics are for today on the COW... I have an east-facing floor-to-ceiling glass wall, plus skylight, so a tonne of natural daylight... but because it comes in through glass, obviously there is no Vitamin-D stimulating UVA or B. For that, I have to walk up the street, but luckily there is an Italian bakery about 5 minutes away, who make a killer latte for two bucks (way way way better than the Mermaid people), but if you want a cannoli, you better get there early.

Maybe what you are trying to achieve is akin to the Japanese concept of shibui, the studied elegance of apparent casualness, which is anything but, and this is the work environment that you are trying to establish. There are other means to avoid the techno-man-cave dungeon... but if I really wanted to be sipping little fruity drinks with umbrellas on a tropical beach, I wouldn't be trying to do that in my work place. People get the wrong impression.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]