Re: Do you conform inside Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

MichaelMaier
Re: Do you conform inside Resolve?
on Mar 9, 2013 at 5:19:07 pm

Another outstanding post Chris! Thanks.

[Chris Kenny] "Hmm. We grade Alexa-originated ProRes 4444 (on Windows) on a fairly regular basis, without apparent issue."

Maybe the Alexas are set to REC709? This highlight clipping I mention with Prores only happens with clips recorded in full swing. REC709 will already probably shrink that range to fit within video levels.

[Chris Kenny] "and we've found smaller gamma shifts (no visible difference, very slight change on scopes) with ProRes than with essentially any other QuickTime codec, including QuickTime-wrapped DNxHD"

I only use DNxHD wrapped in quicktime since many programs have a problem with MXF. Maybe I should do some more tests but I haven't found any significant gamma shifts with DNxHD QT.

[Chris Kenny] "As far as I know Blender doesn't support video I/O hardware, so the question again is, how are you going to be able to watch the piece with 'real' monitoring as you're working on it?"

I really have no idea. If it doesn't then yes, could be a problem. Although I would never grade in Blender. I'm in love with Resolve. :)

But they made a whole movie in Blender called Tears of Steel. It's the latest open movie from the Blender Foundation and it's live action+VFX. So somehow they managed it.

Besides the potential I/O problem, it seems to me like the best option apart from Smoke. You got all in there in one app and you can do real video editing.

[Chris Kenny] "We generally fully conform features in Resolve, even when we're outputting to ProRes and/or generating final deliverables in another app. Why? Because we never know when clients are done making changes...So we've found that while it might seem like more work up front to get every title, every VFX shot, etc. dropped into place in Resolve, it saves time in the end.
"

Sounds very interesting. If you have the time I would love to know the workflow you use for this. Finishing in Resolve seems to be the most appealing to me for some of the same reasons you mention.

[Chris Kenny] "A QuickTime file doesn't just contain a particular number of audio tracks; those tracks can be configured in specific ways. So, for instance, having six mono tracks in a QuickTime movie is not the same as having a 5.1 mix in it, or three stereo pairs, or whatever, despite the fact that all of those are six tracks. As far as I'm aware, while Resolve can export pretty much any number of audio tracks, there's no way to specify what they are like this.

Honestly I'm not sure e.g. Smoke actually addresses this either, though. By far the easiest way we've found to handle it is via roles in FCP X. Of course you might not actually need to care about this when delivering many projects."

So you are saying for example that you couldn't conform and output a show with a 5.1 track from Resolve?

Thanks again Chris. This has been a great chat and I'm learning a lot.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]