FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 XML to Resolve. Timecode differences?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rodrigo Silvestri
Final Cut Pro 7 XML to Resolve. Timecode differences?
on Feb 9, 2013 at 9:18:08 pm

Hi everyone. I am having the same problem I had many times when conforming projects from FCP XML to Resolve.
Basically it consists in a source timecode difference between FCP and Resolve. Actually, it's a timecode difference between FCP and the original timecode.
It only happened to me in big projects (TV or feature films, not commercials) and usually with XDCAM media. Anyway I'm not saying it's exclusively related to XDCAM.
This problem only happens when using XML, and in previous occasions I would use an EDL, but this project has a ridiculous amount of sizing settings so I would be saved if I could go with the XML.
I think this is related to how the XML handles timecodes using frame count instead of absolute timecodes (EDL always uses absolute timecodes).

Project is 25fps, all media is 25fps.
All of the clips are out of sync, and sync differences are not equal (comparing to the offline clip).
Problem is only with source TC, not with Record TC (all of the edit points are in the right place). Also, from the clap on, the timecode matches exactly when viewing the source or FCP. The problem is related to how the XML "regenerates" the timecode.
When you open the clip in the Viewer in FCP and go to the first frame, it's the exact slate frame when it just clapped, so the problem seems related to some process that the editor makes when syncing sound.
Let's talk about one specific clip. First frame in Final Cut is 02:28:47:15 and shows the closed slate. Edit goes from 02:29:02:24 to 02:29:06:07. First frame in Quicktime or Resolve is 02:28:44:19 and shows the open slate. Edit in Resolve (loaded through XML) goes from 02:29:00:03 to 02:29:03:11. So the XML in this clip has a 71 frames off from the original.

I believe (and hope) this is a common problem and there is an easy solution for it that I just don't know yet, because it happened to me many times.
I also hope I am not too confusing.

What I want basically is a way to export an XML with the right timecode (probably a process one has to do in FCP to make clips read the original entire source clip), so Resolve loads everything allright.

Thanks to everyone wishing to help!
Rodrigo.

--
twitter.com/rsilves
http://www.rsilves.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]