FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Kona + Decklink on same MacPro...Possible?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Tomberlin
Re: Kona + Decklink on same MacPro...Possible?
on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:03:04 am

Out of complete and utter disappointment in Decklink functionality with Avid, and an equally complete love for Resolve I've attempted this set up. For a variety of reasons, I couldn't physically get both cards into my Mac so I ordered a Cubix expander which also gives me the ability to beef up Resolve with additional GPUs.

Current set up is Kona 3 in Mac Pro, Decklink 3D extreme in Cubix (along with GTX650 and Quadro4000). With the Cubix running I can boot into a "Resolve" partition that has no AJA drivers installed and everything works great. No conflicts at all between the Decklink and the Kona. When I boot into the "Kona" partition which has no Decklink drivers installed there is however a problem. The Kona drivers don't load and the Kona card is not recognized. If I shut down, power off the Cubix and boot again into the "Kona" partition everything DOES work as expected. Speculation from Cubix support so far is that there is a resource allocation problem with the OS and the two video cards and they suggested I try moving the cards to different slots and see what happens.

I haven't had time to try this yet, but for the moment I simply leave the Cubix off unless I'm booting in the "Resolve" partition. It makes the restarts slower because I literally have to power down the mac, plug in the Cubix and cold boot rather than a simple restart to another partition. I hope to test other configurations more next week to see if I can make this work without having to power down each time I switch.

This has been a rather expensive way to fix two things:

1) BMD has been slow to make their Avid drivers work as well as AJA's
2) Resolve only works with BMD hardware

In fact, if BMD had a $2500 version of Resolve that worked with AJA, they would have gotten my $2500 rather than Cubix. But hey, I wouldn't be able to use that smokin' GTX690 either.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]