FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: How To Make A DCP Match The Look In Davinci Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ola Haldor Voll
Re: How To Make A DCP Match The Look In Davinci Resolve
on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:50:54 am

I'm with Juan on this one. All though I'm not sure AE is screwing it up (I'll come to this point later), I don't like the way AE handles "color profiles".

Do as Juan says; add the grain in Resolve. Be done with it already, and render 16b TIFF XYZ.

What you explain in step 1) is exactly what I do when I deliver for DCP. Washed out with a green tint sounds correct to me! That's how XYZ will look on a computer monitor. The only way to see it "properly" on a computer is loading a frame or a sequence of frames in Photoshop (if you have a DCDM P3 LUT installed), easyDCP or similar apps that can reverse XYZ to "normal colors" in RGB.

If I understand step 2) correct, you are actually applying XYZ on footage that is already XYZ. This means, you apply XYZ LUTs twice. Been there, done that, and learned by mistake. When you apply XYZ twice, you will have what you see on the computer screen, in the cinema too.

Anyway, I'd suggest you get a video monitor and grade in the proper gamma and color temperature settings. Preferably a monitor with D-cine mode.

My experience with my monitor vs. the cinema projector is almost terrifying. It's so close, and the final touch in the cinema is a joy when you see all the work you've put down in the suite pays off and you don't have to spend countless hours tweaking blacks and saturation.

My settings are Gamma 2.35 (tip from the manufacturer of the monitor that 2.6 would be a little too much compared to a cinema projector) and D-Cine 6503 Kelvin. I also grade and render "unscaled", and monitor 4:4:4.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]