FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Another reason why I'm glad to see Resolve on Windows...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Toby Risk
Re: Another reason why I'm glad to see Resolve on Windows...
on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:33:24 pm

Running a small post studio, with about 10 machines, I run Mac, Linux and Windows. They all have their plus points and all have their problems. But when a company like Blackmagic Design announces a Windows release of Davinci you know the writing is on the wall for the venerable old Mac's.

I first met Grant Petty of BMD in Indonesia in 1994 and was mightily impressed that he could drive a Sony BVH3100 one inch VTR from his Mac laptop's RS232 port. That night Grant established an engineering partnership which would eventually lead him to producing some ground breaking hardware and eventually Blackmagic Design.

Grant was and as far as I know still is a hard core Apple / Mac fan, and I know he's had good reason to dislike Apple over the years as well. But now it seems even Grant and BMD feel that Apple's enthusiasms are concentrated elsewhere.

Mac's have had the edge on style for a long time and if that's your thing then go for it. As for OS, gee sure, I enjoy switching the machine back to 32 bit mode just to read a NTFS hard drive, and it's real cool that I have to take my Nvidia FX 4000 OUT of the machine risking hardware damage, just to update the driver. As for networking. AFP is just pants, NFS sort of works and SAMBA is well, just SAMBA.

Shall we talk about RAM prices, GPU compatibility and my favourite subject FCP X / 'pro'apps (X where I come from means 'Wrong') What about customer support. It's got to be there somewhere right?

Apple survived through the nineties only because the pro / design market stuck with them. Now Apple have moved on and found success in other areas with the iphone and ipad. If you love your Mac's then enjoy, but Windows realises the CPU/GPU power of CURRENT hardware, not hardware which is 2 years old, which is essential in keeping a competitive edge in our industry. Linux is king for networking and reliability, albeit with a smaller application use.

In the end Apple are a hardware company and Microsoft software. Personal computing is a mature market. Apple couldn't compete forever with patents on technologies which only vary the users experience. They had to reinvent the user experience. They chose to do that with mobile devices, and did it superbly well.

Mac Pro's are good machines, but they are way behind the bleeding edge. And really if you were Apple, where would your focus be.

Personally, I don't want to be an 'also ran' customer. I want my suppliers to be hungry for my patronage.

Just my two penneth. :)

Toby

Colourist | Editor | Post-Production Consultant -- 23 years at the post-production coalface, and still loving it.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]