FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Collaboration - how do you make it work?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Collaboration - how do you make it work?
on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:53:07 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Getting back to talking about notes, one thing that I always keep in mind is that the notes might be addressing the symptom not the problem."

This is such a good point.

In an ideal world clients and producers and directors would tell you that they have a general feeling about a problem and leave you, the editor, to find a way of solving it.

Instead they "diagnose" the problem and prescribe very specific solutions to it - and that's where it all tends to go wrong.

"Something's not quite right about this section and I can't put my finger on it" is actually a much more helpful note than "Lose that line, change that shot, chuck out the music, cut it all faster".

Editing is not like fixing an engine - it's not about rigid steps, it's about finding what works. And that takes experimentation that really only the editor can take full control of. Editors tend to know how to "experiment" with a view to getting the best results. It's an acquired skill. Random experimentation is a pretty good way of killing the soul of a project ... Experienced film-makers understand the need to let the editor experiment in a controlled fashion.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]