Re: Best methods to edit with headphones

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nicholas Bierzonski
Re: Best methods to edit with headphones
on Jan 14, 2010 at 7:24:41 pm

Here's my two cents...

When I was in college I used to edit with headphones all the time. This led to ear fatigue.

Now I only edit with headphones when requested by my boss or if I want to isolate a troublesome audio edit. (Recreating a word/Cleaning up Noise etc.)

Thankfully this doesn't happen often. If I must edit with headphones I happily do so, but when it comes to my final mix I always use my Near Field Monitoring setup in the suite.

We also have some cheap computer monitor speakers hooked up to our mixer so I can hear what the lowest common denominator sounds like, but in the end I trust my NFM setup.

On the other hand...just to play devil's advocate...

When is the last time someone watched a DVD in their living room with headphones on? Not to say that it doesn't happen. It just isn't the norm.

In my humble opinion professional headphones that block out the sound in the room should be used during the shoot to locate troublesome noises like air conditioners and refrigerators.

This eliminates time & money spent "Fixing it in post"

If you are in a less than ideal edit room with noises coloring your final mix
I think you should finish your final edit and mix in another suite clear of extra noise and distractions.

Plus when you screen rough cut versions for clients and independent producers will you share the headphones? One ear for each of you?

It doesn't seem practical. Does it?

What do you think?

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Senior Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]