FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: my longform workflow

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Charlie King
Re: my longform workflow
on Jan 8, 2008 at 10:06:34 pm

[Monica F.P.Williams] "the professional level of Producers and Directors I worked with was much higher (sorry I don't want to be mean but this is the era when a lot of people wake up in the morning and say "guess what! I am a Filmmaker")"

Monica, I think I'm in love.
You just brought back so many memories. Not only are you so on track with that line, but I have said for years, going back to Live black and White Television Days, for the most part, camera operators were better then, cause you had to be, you only had one chance to get it right. the first award I ever got was for editing a film for a live documentary. We didn't have the capability of editing tape, so the field footage was edited and rolled in live with the live announcers doing the narration. I didn't know how to use a sound reader, couse I had no training before this production. I would listen to it on a projector, then take it off and look at the optical track and see the wave form to find where my edits were. Video Tape made a big differece, but it was still as tho it was live, no editing capabilities.
Then there came along Editec, WOW waht a concept, no longer did the Operator have to cut tape with a blade and a magnifying glass. Anyone remember the liquid with metal fibres you brushed on to see the frame pulses?
I'm not saying I am better because I had to do with less equipment, I am just saying it is a lot easier for someone to get into the business and produce, direct, shoot, and edit today. Personally I miss the times we had finding ways to make the equipment do things it wasn't actually designed to do. Now we do it with software, not really bad, jsut not as much fun.
Sorry I don't get many chances to remember how it was. So back to the regularly scheduled program.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]