FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: my longform workflow

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Monica F.P.Williams
Re: my longform workflow
on Jan 8, 2008 at 7:11:49 pm

I take the same non linear approach that's the beauty of technology!!!
In my old days of Linear editing we didn't have much choice but to be organized and to know BEFORE start cutting where we were going with the story, also the professional level of Producers and Directors I worked with was much higher (sorry I don't want to be mean but this is the era when a lot of people wake up in the morning and say "guess what! I am a Filmmaker")
I absolutely agree with Grinner that the non linear approach is the only way to work when the lack of experience of some Producers/Director that shoot anything that moves will have to come to terms in the editing room.
A fine example is a documentary that I worked on last year. 150 hours of shooting, no storyline, tons of interviews, NO Transcriptions, the director told me "Do something with it". The only way was to put everything on a series of timelines and start cutting down the interviews and try to find the story that was hidden: there was enough to tell seven different stories, so I start building sections by subject and after that sewing all the threads together with music, quotes,montages. It was a long, painful, fun, challenging, interesting process.
lt took 4 months to get to the final cut . Because of the lack of organization in the production part was also more expensive and time consuming that should have been.
Last, who should be credited as Director in this case?
My2 cents
Monica

Monica F.P.williams
crocodile editing
web: http://www.crocodileediting.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]