FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: I forgot to make an Emmys thread.

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike Cohen
Re: I forgot to make an Emmys thread.
on Aug 28, 2014 at 12:58:54 pm

I suspect the shoter seasons are the British influence. For years we watched series on BBC America and most of those are only about 10 episodes. And note, the British call these Series 1, Series 2, etc, not Seasons.
The term Season seems to be an American invention, since traditionally the new TV season would start mid-September to coincide with the advent of Fall, going into Winter and ending in late Spring. Alas, as a child the TV seasons coincided with the start and end of school.

The shorter seasons of 10-13 episodes, as we now see with HBO, FX, AMC, TNT etc I believe allows for higher quality. They may spend the same as NBC would on a 22 episode season, but each 1 hour episode packs more of a punch in my opinion. Game of Thrones supposedly spends up to 6 million per episode - this is about the most expensive recurring series ever (with the exception of the final season of Friends in which the 6 main characters got $1 million per episode (that's 6 x 22 = $132 million for one season, or about double the Game of Thrones 10 episode budget, though a dollar in 2003 went a little further, although GOT is shot in Ireland, Iceland and Croatia, so perhaps it goes even further still.)

My opinion on Network shows (ie, NBC, ABC) is that 22 episodes leads to drawn out storylines, contrived cliffhangers and weaker individual episodes. Granted I don't currently watch any shows on the 4 major networks. I did watch 24: Die Another Day, which was only 12 episodes (oddly, shot in the UK, land of the short season) and it followed my criteria in the previous sentence (and though eligible for the mini-series Emmy, will win none because it was just terrible).

Take a show like Gray's Anatomy, the last show me and the missus watched with regularity on a major network (I say major, because they still are king when it comes to sports, nightly news, morning shows and late night programming, though one could argue that HBO and AMC are major networks too) - we stopped watching Gray's because after a few seasons the story lines became forced. They seemed to need to kill off a main character every so often to keep people watching. Sure GOT and Walking Dead kill of characters all the time, but that makes sense given the subject matter. People keep telling me to watch The Blacklist and The Good Wife, and I may check those out on Netflix at some point.

Ok, back to work!

Mike

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]