FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: I forgot to make an Emmys thread.

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: I forgot to make an Emmys thread.
on Aug 28, 2014 at 1:23:13 am

[Mike Cohen] "However American Horror Story breaks one of these rules. Yes it has a different storyline each season, but it is created by Ryan Murphy. But still it gets the mini-series awards."

So does Sherlock.

"Created by" is a producer's credit, rather than a "show" credit, so to speak. Producers can get an exemption to the rule if they apply for one, based on their being eligible in more than one category.

Otherwise, the definition is incredibly brief:

A miniseries is based on a single theme or story line, which is resolved within the piece....A miniseries consists of two or more episodes with a total running time of at least four broadcast hours (at least 150 program minutes).

I skipped over some stuff about year of eligibility, but otherwise, that's the totality of the definition, and I think it holds up.

Sherlock is actually a stretch for me. They might SAY that, "Well, Season 1 was about the search for Moriarty," etc. -- but in some episodes, he's barely mentioned. But as far as a "series" goes, it's pretty short, so I guess, technically, a mini-series...but I don't buy the "only one story per season" thing for a minute. I just don't.

TD and AHS both make a lot more sense, even though they're the length of a full (mini) season. (I loves me some 13-episode shows, but I don't think they should count in the same category as 20+ episode shows. It's HARDER to do 22 episodes.)

But with those shows, there's a REAL single story, and only ONE story per season, and not even a returning set of characters or most of the cast. For TD, it looks like it'll be NONE. ALL of them come back every time, repertory-style.

Anyway, if you really want to drill down into all this, you have to step off the Emmy website and into the PDF rule book, which, as I noted, pretty slender for actual rules. Most of it is occupied with admittedly important but not relevant for US stuff, like how you have to label the DVDs for submission. Anyway, if you care, here 'tis.

FANTASTIC notes on the historical arc of miniseries, Mike. FANTASTIC. There's a lot to comment on there, as especially up through the 80s, this was some of the best television ever made. (And again -- if you're not going to have the guts or the budget to go 24 hours, you BETTER get it right.) Obviously great stuff in this century, but even the relatively weaker 90s, it was just RELATIVELY weaker -- highlighted by the amazing Prime Suspect, starring Helen Mirren: nominated 5 times, winning 3.

Anyway, I'll be back to comment on more of these, maybe in another thread. A DELICIOUS topic.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]