Re: I forgot to make an Emmys thread.

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott Roberts
Re: I forgot to make an Emmys thread.
on Aug 27, 2014 at 6:24:53 pm
Last Edited By Scott Roberts on Aug 27, 2014 at 6:37:29 pm

They almost never get the comedy section right. If Modern Family is the best comedy of the last five years and Jim Parsons is the funniest person on TV for the last four years, then I feel inclined to throw my TV into the trash can right now. Luckily, I can just remember that the Emmys have always catered to broad comedy, and if there's one thing I agree with the Golden Globes on (shudders)(I don't like agreeing with the Golden Globes), it's that Brooklyn Nine Nine is better than anything on CBS or ABC. JLD winning for Veep every year actually makes sense, though (or they could throw one to Amy Poehler, maybe?)

I was happy they gave a writing award to Louie, that was a great episode (though, I thought Silicon Valley's nominated "Maximum Tip to Tip Efficiency" episode deserved SOME recognition) but by giving Louie an award for that pretty much gave them free will to give Jim Parsons the acting award because "Hey, we gave Louis *something*, right?" One of my favorite little moments of the show was when Ricky Gervais jabbed at Parsons' win with a "Really, him again?" playful joke that is basically what everyone was actually thinking.

I'm happy Breaking Bad cleaned up, because I loved that final season. And as much as I loved True Detective, and McConaughey's Rust Cohle performance (I say "Time is a flat circle" almost any time someone mentions time), Breaking Bad was great and deserved everything it got.

Fargo was also great, and I'm happy that won a bunch of awards, but I'm not sure what makes that a mini-series and True Detective a regular series? I DON'T GET THE MINI-SERIES RULES. Is it just how the network chooses to enter them for competition?

As for the awards show itself, I laughed a bunch of times, and it actually made it under three hours for a change (of course, I fast forwarded through the commercials). I liked the Billy Eichner man on the street segment, but I *watch* Billy on the Street regularly. The Bryan Cranston/Tim Whatley references were funny. Uhhhh, I'm struggling to remember much else that happened. Oh, the Weird Al song parody segment was funny, but also, I like Weird Al.

And not to be disrespectful to the dead, but why was Philip Seymour Hoffman included in the Emmy's memorial? Don't get me wrong, he's a great actor, and I'm sure he's made appearances on TV, but has he ever been like a recurring character...? On anything...? Is he really a *TV* guy?

[Mike Cohen] "PPS - I really wish they would show a longer film clip for nominees."

I agree with this 100%! On ANY awards show!

[Kylee Wall] "The straight-faced Academy guy, unable to improvise, has to read his teleprompter while Gervais poses sexily. Then the punchline about always giving the audience something compelling to look at is ten times funnier. See?"

I also agree that Sofia Vergara thing was a weird "joke" (and I like your idea better). How do they plan these shows for months at a time, and NO ONE in the room ever goes, "Ok, that probably isn't a good idea."?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]