I forgot to make an Emmys thread.

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kylee Peña
I forgot to make an Emmys thread.
on Aug 27, 2014 at 5:45:15 pm

Any reactions? Thoughts? Feelings?

I thought it was a pretty entertaining show for the Emmys. Seemed way less disconnected from the reality of pop culture than usual. Seth Meyers did a good job balancing between being funny and being annoyingly mean...better to let another comic do the roasting of any celebs.

I was a little surprised to see Breaking Bad clean up like it did, but then again the Emmys are fairly predictable. I was more than a little surprised to see Louie's episode "So Did the Fat Lady" winning a writing award because it was seriously a fantastic episode of television and I want everyone to know about it even if they hate the show. Also surprising: Netflix winning nothing in the primetime awards. It's surprising a show like Modern Family would continue to win when something like Orange is the New Black is up against it.

Sofia Vergara rotating on a platform while men speak was predictably sexist too, which is unfortunate in a telecast where otherwise things were pretty hip and with it and all that. The thing that really bugs me about that joke is that it COULD work if you took it a step farther: the Academy dude tells her to stand there while men talk and she refuses and storms off stage. Ricky Gervais, having lost and wishing to make the most of his Emmy spotlight, offers to take her place. The straight-faced Academy guy, unable to improvise, has to read his teleprompter while Gervais poses sexily. Then the punchline about always giving the audience something compelling to look at is ten times funnier. See? Commentary about how out of touch the Academy is and how sexist Hollywood is, all turned around on its head. SOMEONE HIRE ME TO WRITE AWARD SHOW JOKES.

Anyway, I laugh when Benedict Cumberbatch and Maggie Smith don't even show up.

I was entertained for three hours, which is more than I can say about most movies I've seen this year, so good job Emmys.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]