COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: 1970's Cinema
on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:55:42 pm
Last Edited By Herb Sevush on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:59:50 pm

Part IV

What was I thinking? I left out the whole Don Siegel / Clint Eastwood segment.

Other than the Dirty Harry movies (Siegel directed the first one, Eastwood the last two) Siegel directed Eastwood in "2 Mules for Sister Sarah" a whore with a heart of gold story set in Mexico as well as "Escape from Alcatraz" which was about ... well yes, but it was well done. "The Shootist" is John Wayne's epitaph to himself, an end-of-the-west western, it holds up pretty well with Lauren Bacall and Jimmy Stewart. In addition Siegel made "Charley Varrick" a very gritty little caper movie with Walter Mathau as a bank robber, "the last of the independents." Mathau was also in the original "Taking of Pelham One Two Three" made in 1974 and well worth seeing.

Eastwood directed himself in the first western ghost story "High Plains Drifter" then followed that with a great epic post civil war western "The Outlaw Josey Wales" - "are you going to pull those pistols or just whistle dixie?"

This list is pretty much off the top of my head and I'm sure to be embarrassed by tomorrow, and it's only films made by american directors and not mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]