Re: 1970's Cinema

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: 1970's Cinema
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:59:15 pm

Part III

Took a break to make sure I wasn't repeating any films mentioned elsewhere. I think I'm good, and it's Friday so here's the rest ...

I don't think of John Huston when I think of the 70's but he made "Fat City" a great and utterly depressing movie about boxing set in Stockton, California, "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean" with Paul Newman, an inconsistent but at times wonderful revisionist western, and "The Man Who Would Be King" from Rudyard Kipling's short story, with Sean Connery and Michael Cain that seems to be the favorite film of everyone involved in making it and of many who have seen it.

Franklin Schaffner was a very glossy big budget hollywood director who's 70's films include not only Patton, but "Papillon" a true story of escaping from Devil's Island with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman and also "The Boys From Brazil" an excellent post war nazi-hunting movie with Gregory Peck giving a great performance as a villain opposite Laurance Olivier as the hunter.

The 70's was a bad decade for Blake Edwards, redeemed by the re-birth of his Pink Panther series in the late seventies, the best of which was "The Pink Panther Strikes Again" but there were 3 of them and they all had Peter Sellers so they all had their moments. He ended the decade with "10" a brilliant comedy about middle age blues that made a star, for a moment, out of Dudley Moore, which tells you how good this movie was. No orchestra in America would play Ravel's Bolero for the next 5 years for fear of the audience's reaction after this movie came out.

Other recommended movies from the 70's in no particular order -

"Being There" - amazing film with Peter Sellers, idiot savant rises to power, beautiful film by Hal Ashby.

"Scarecrow" - 2 drifters on the road, but played by Gene Hackman and Al Pacino.

"Freebie and the Bean" - a very weird buddy cop movie made by Richard Rush who in the next decade made "The Stuntman." It featured Alan Arkin as one of the cops and Arkin went on to direct and act in "Little Murders" based on Jules Feiffer's Village Voice comic strip, it is as good a look at NYC in the early seventies as any movie you will see. Wicked funny.

"The Eagle Has Landed" the first american WWII movie that has German's as the protagonists. Great cast with Michael Cain, Donald Sutherland and Robert Duvall. Duvall later starred in "The Great Santini" a family drama for which he was oscar nominated.

"Where's Poppa" an early Carl Reiner black comedy about a man's desperate efforts to murder his senile mother, with George Segal and Ruth Gordon.

And of course "Animal House."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]