FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: 1970's Cinema

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sam Lanes
Re: 1970's Cinema
on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:25:37 am

One of the things I love about a lot of top 1970s films is the immediacy of the storytelling. It is not unusual for a story to begin immediately (without several scenes carefully spelling out the settings, characters, scenarios as a platform on which to progress the story), as well as an ending which can often finish with a suddenness that can be baffling to modern eyes (as a child of the 80s I include myself in this catefory) used to a sanctimonious, bittersweet Hollywood ending.

In my view, films such as The Conversation and All The President's Men force the audience to actually think about what is being portrayed, make their own meaning from what they have seen, and ultimately form their own opinions from what they have seen. Too many modern films are too conclusive, in my view, leaving little room for audience interpretation, and thought-provoking movies often stand out a mile just because they have made the audience think for themselves.

I would suggest that a similar trend is prevalent in literature too; where sometimes I can read a novel written in the 1950s/60s, and the deeper meaning of a story might not be so obvious at first glance (although I would accept that occasionally, some understanding of the socio-political make up of the country of origin at the time in which it was written can often be helpful to understanding something fully).

I personally agree with Kylie, that the grittiness seems to be intact and there is a much more real-world feeling to the settings and locale of any given movie.

http://www.aefromscratch.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]