FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: 1970's Cinema

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike Cohen
Re: 1970's Cinema
on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:09:37 pm

I intentionally omitted Spielberg and Lucas films from my list because I can get a bit pigeon-holed with those guys.

But it's true, American Zoetrope was formed as a indie non-Hollywood filmmaking collective, very post-hippie Whole Earth Catalog-esque approach to making art outside of the "system".

American Graffiti, then, should be on this list because it was shot on a shoestring, made its money back in spades, and helped start this generation of films. Copolla, indeed, is on this list. Lucas shot SW using some of his documentary aesthetics - note the lack of elaborate dolly or crane shots which are considered staples of "cinema". There is a B+W documentary style cut of SW in the Lucasfilm vaults.

In the same breath we could mention Superman the Movie - basically it was a 70's drama starring Brando and Hackman that happened to feature a superhero, but Donner really nailed the cinema aspect that was not really repeated with the Reeve movies, though parts of the Snyder reboot certainly have some cinematic qualities.

So I am using the word "cinema" to denote a certain aesthetic that these films all share - it creates a more visceral feeling than the boilerplate studio movie. We've debated this before.

I should have been born in the 70's! Oh wait, I was.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]