FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Avatar

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Avatar
on Dec 23, 2009 at 7:51:15 pm

Kathlyn and I *loved* Avatar on the Real-D 3D screen here at the Park Cinema in Paso Robles.

Kathlyn said it best in her comment as we left the theater: I want to live in that world.

It is the most visually stunning fantasy epic I have ever seen. It is almost overwhelming to see everything that is happening in this movie.

And the thing that was quite remarkable about it, is that the filmmakers worked very hard to not go over the top in the 3D immersive visuals. They are, for the most part (with a few forgivable momentary failures), the way that 3D would be in our normal visual range. There are very few "jump out and grab you" elements, and the few there are, are elements which would play that way in real life because they are supposed to.

The 3D is far more subtle than the heavy-handed approach used in 3D movies up to this point.

I loved the story and thought that it was a well executed morality tale about the destruction of indigenous cultures -- and doesn't just beat Americans for the atrocities, but is pretty even handed and weaves in elements of cultures from around the world. This is a human atrocity, not an Americans-only event. There are elements from African cutures, the Aborgines of Australia, Mezzo-American, as well as North American. There are even a few nods to long-gone cultures like Druids and Picts.

I thought it was very well done and was quite visually convincing.

I heard no one speak as we left the theater who said anything bad. Everyone was pretty much in agreement that the film intelligencia will likely crucify James Cameron, but the public will fill his wallet -- yet again.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Gandhi

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:
  • Avatar by Mike Cohen on Aug 20, 2009 at 10:57:53 pm
    • Re: Avatar by Chris Poisson on Aug 21, 2009 at 1:53:48 pm
      • Re: Avatar by Tim Wilson on Aug 22, 2009 at 1:26:44 pm
        • Re: Avatar by Tim Wilson on Aug 22, 2009 at 2:10:45 pm
        • Re: Avatar by David Roth Weiss on Aug 22, 2009 at 3:35:14 pm
          • Re: Avatar by Tim Wilson on Aug 22, 2009 at 8:07:06 pm
            • Avatar by Paul Thurston on Aug 22, 2009 at 11:41:58 pm
              • Re: Avatar by Scott Cumbo on Aug 24, 2009 at 10:58:22 pm
                • Re: Avatar by Tim Wilson on Aug 25, 2009 at 1:13:19 am
                  • Re: Avatar by Stephen Smith on Dec 23, 2009 at 5:57:49 pm
                    • Re: Avatar by Tim Wilson on Dec 23, 2009 at 7:11:13 pm
                      • Re: Avatar by Ron Lindeboom on Dec 23, 2009 at 7:51:15 pm
                        • Re: Avatar by Tim Wilson on Dec 24, 2009 at 3:40:38 am
                          • Re: Avatar by Mike Cohen on Dec 27, 2009 at 10:14:50 pm
                            • Re: Avatar by David Roth Weiss on Dec 27, 2009 at 11:08:25 pm
                            • Re: Avatar by Dwelb Fwibben on Dec 28, 2009 at 12:08:11 am
                              • Re: Avatar by Stephen Smith on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:03:51 pm
                                • Re: Avatar by David Roth Weiss on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:11:23 pm

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]