FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Sanctum

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Sanctum
on Feb 8, 2011 at 9:51:31 pm

[Scott Roberts] "I'm pretty sure it's not going to translate very well to DVD and still look as cool on a regular old TV."

Start saving now for a 3D TV. There were some post-holiday deals that included "free" 3D BD players - highly recommended. The 120 Hz display (probably 240 by next year) completely blows away that nasty 24p nonsense - a MUCH better experience for the 3D movies I've seen than in theaters, even on a smaller screen.

Anyway, the 3D cave movie I'm holding out for is Werner Herzog's "Cave of Forgotten Dreams."

Herzog's approach to documentaries is as idiosyncratic as anyone in the game, very much focused on extreme people, so that his "Antarctica documentary" becomes "Encounters At The End of the World" - meeting people who are nuts enough to want to be in Antarctica for any length of time. Not that you get this from most reviews, which focus on the scenery, but watch the trailer with this in mind to get the barest idea of what I mean.

Even though he's the narrator on the film, and onscreen for plenty of it, the commentary is a gas. Highly, highly recommended.

So I'm going to triangulate and say that this documentary isn't just about the caves- it's about the people who dreamed, perhaps both the ones who were nuts enough to go down thousands of feet to make these drawings and the ones nuts enough to go into the caves for the sake of going into caves today.

I'd see it if wasn't in 3D, but knowing what this guy does with stories and visuals in general makes me giddily anticipate what he's going to do with this.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:
  • Sanctum by Scott Roberts on Feb 8, 2011 at 4:55:15 pm
    • Re: Sanctum by Tim Wilson on Feb 8, 2011 at 9:51:31 pm
      • Re: Sanctum by Mike Cohen on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:06:30 pm
        • Re: Sanctum by Mark Suszko on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:15:17 pm
          • Re: Sanctum by Tim Wilson on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:37:57 pm

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]