MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Re: Are Sony Vegas skills marketable?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rob Cioffi
Re: Are Sony Vegas skills marketable?
on Feb 5, 2016 at 7:10:59 pm

John,

Very good points. Allow me to address them.

[John Rofrano] "So you are OK with the subscription model and the fact that you pay annually for new releases whether you need the new features or not, and when you stop paying the software stops working and you can no longer open your projects? So if you were coming the other way from Premiere to Vegas you could not, for example, go back 6 months later and make adjustments to a Premiere project unless you paid Adobe more money for the privilege of doing so. And you have no problem with that? ('cuz I can agree to being held hostage like that regardless of how good the software is.)"

Yes, the subscription model is hard to swallow. I guess the upside is if I was in need of Premiere for a legacy project in the future I have the option of only having to pay a month at a time for the privilege. Right now I subscribe for to CC for my web business so Premiere and AE are just sitting there in my toolbox whether I use them or not.

[John Rofrano] "So if Sony came out with Vegas Pro 14 this year you would stay? (just asking' 'cuz NAB is just around the corner and that's when new releases usually happen)"

I suspect if anybody knows whether SVP 14 was going to drop this year (or even still in new feature development for a new version) it would be you, John ;). The answer is yes, I'd stay with Vegas as my primary tool if Sony Creative was actively developing it as a competitive NLE.

[John Rofrano] "Well... the Hollywood feature film Focus was edited on Final Cut Pro X, and the A&E documentary O.J. Speaks: The Hidden tapes was cut on Final Cut Pro X, and the Emmy Award winning Harlem Globetrotters documentary was cut on Final Cut Pro X and according to this video (at 4:50), Final Cut Pro X is 5x Faster than Premiere Pro on the same hardware. So why not Final Cut Pro X? ...at least you "own" if forever! ;-)
"

I'm an old IT guy with a Windows bias. I sold a top of the line iMac last year because the only thing I used it for was for playing around with FCPX and as a prop for clients. My guess is I could build a super-powered Wintel box that had Premiere matching FCPX performance for less than the cost of the Apple hardware. But that subscription model does suck.

I'm going to spend a few months working with Premiere - if only to broaden my skill set. I'd love to see SVP 14 announced at NAB. I'd have piece of mind back.

Thanks again John for taking the time out to respond.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]