MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Re: Are Sony Vegas skills marketable?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rob Cioffi
Re: Are Sony Vegas skills marketable?
on Feb 5, 2016 at 2:13:23 am

This has been a great discussion and has given me a lot to think about. There may be work out there for a full-time Vegas editor but I'm not going to count on it. Sony Vegas has taught me a lot about editing through dozens of projects and I'm confident I could cut a feature-length film with it (Here's one of my greatest learning experiences - 100% cut, vfx, sfx, and sound mixed with SVP - https://vimeo.com/93269411)

I'm currently working on 3 projects (One web-based series, one documentary series, and a sitcom) using SVP. But I've decided to move over to Premiere for any new projects. I suspect it will slow down my workflow for a while. It's pain well worth going through.

I started editing with Movie Maker way back when then switched over to Pinnacle to edit a 3 DVD video of a family cruise. When I bought an AVCHD camera I was forced to move out of my Pinnacle comfort zone and use SVP as my main editor.

The move to Premiere reminds me of my move from Pinnacle to SVP. Premiere seems to me to be a more advanced editor (especially when combined with After Effects). I've got thousands invested in SVP versions and plugins but most of what I use are available for Premiere and what I may lose will probably be made up for multiple times over by Adobe resources.

The biggest decision factor is that SVP 13 is probably the last major release of Vegas. Sony seems to be focused on Catalyst, which is great, but it will probably take years for it to catch up to the major NLEs.

The nail in the SVP coffin was hearing today that the Coen Brothers cut "Hail, Ceasar!" on Premiere.

I'll probably use SVP for quick hit and runs for a long while. It's a great tool. It just feels like it's time to broaden my skills.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]