MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Re: Are Sony Vegas skills marketable?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Glenn Cowan
Re: Are Sony Vegas skills marketable?
on Jan 30, 2016 at 8:46:09 pm

Good for you. Quit with the "you're wrong" stuff. It's very rude and divisive. It's also taking what I said out of context.

I didn't say cutting a feature with Vegas was impossible in the technical realm. I said it's difficult to cut complex, long-form projects with Vegas, and many people have echoed this sentiment long before me. And keep in mind, I love Vegas, but it has had limitations for which I've had to devise countless workarounds...kinda like your having to render each scene to its own Cineform file, something you don't have to do with Sequences in Avid, and which doesn't allow a facile cutting approach. Vegas is kludgy in that respect. Kudos to your features success, but no American financier or production company would allow its use. I know this because I've queried this to many a post-production supervisor, just out of curiosity, and have gotten the same answer: "No way." Again, keep in mind, these are both studio and indie films here in the US; I can't vouch for how Canadian productions underwrite their films.

I will say, it sounds like these were micro-budget features you put out, as everyone I know mixes their 5.1 tracks in professional facilities, none of which would use Vegas as their main tool/board.

Your concluding note about the audience only caring about story/character is obvious and ubiquitous and does not need restating; it only comes off as patronizing. However, the money people DO care what you cut on, and how much downtime the cutting room will incur, how quickly you can output materials for the other departments on an hourly basis, etc. In my experience, Avid is made for such demands because of its networking capabilities between workstations, something that is lacking and laughable in a Vegas environment. If you're doing all the work yourself? Fine. But that's not the reality of even the lowest budget films I've worked on.

Indie Filmmaker

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]