MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Re: Are Sony Vegas skills marketable?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Glenn Cowan
Re: Are Sony Vegas skills marketable?
on Jan 29, 2016 at 11:45:13 pm

[Rob Cioffi] "Are there any majors (feature film or TV shows) using Sony Vegas in their workflow?"

Nope. And the reason for this is quite simple: There is no real-time tech support, no house calls should something fail, or go down -- which is ESSENTIAL to feature post-production, because an hour or more down means thousands of dollars down the drain (salaries, deadlines with other expensive depts like sound/vfx/DI etc). On features, your machines are covered by a tech support house, like insurance, something Vegas will never have, especially now that Sony won't be updating the software any further.

People here can debate Vegas' robustness all they want, but the above is the sad truth. As for marketable skills, you can improve your editing on anything. Editing is editing. Like anything, do more of it and get better.

And look -- I've used Vegas since 2003! Personally, I love it...for personal projects, because I have time to endure its instability (even on a powerful home system I had built with Vegas' specs carefully in hand). When confronted with an hour long project, I found it necessary to restrict my usage of Vegas to audio only, and use Avid Xpress Pro because of its rock-solid architecture (and this on a system NOT built to Avid's specs!).

Will I continue using Vegas on short, simple projects? Absolutely. It's fun. But feature films are a business that require 24/7 attention, and that's not possible with Vegas Pro. I've actually used Vegas Pro in a professional cutting room, to help out an editor with some audio issues. But that's as far as that prospect ventured.

Btw, while we're all proud thumping our chests here, about how others blindly follow "the market sheep" on which software to buy, let's not forget that many of our best film artists cut their films with Premiere and FCP -- Fincher, Coen Bros -- and have no problem changing hands when one proves unreliable. At the end of the day, 'creating' something in a multi-million dollar environment requires software that performs, and is -- while not perfect, not bulletproof -- DEPENDABLE, backed by professional engineers who are ready to attack bugs and hardware upon a phone call from the cutting room.

Indie Filmmaker

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]